Greatest Quotes of all Time

Random, pointless threads. Forum Games go here.
**Posts made here do not increase post count.**

Moderators: QuetzaDrake, Aasharu, Zerker, Immelmann

Lord
Species: cabbolf

Re: Greatest Quotes of all Time

Postby Dwale » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Wow, this is longer than I thought it was...just a quote from Watership Down, which as some of you may recall, was a book that completely blew my mind with the quality of its prose.
"Listen, Dandelion. You're fond of stories, aren't you? I'll tell you one-yes, one for El-ahrairah to cry at. Once there was a fine warren on the edge of a wood, overlooking the meadows of a farm. It was big, full of rabbits. Then one day the white blindness came and the rabbits fell sick and died. But a few survived, as they always do. The warren became almost empty. One day the farmer thought, 'I could increase those rabbits: make them part of my farm-their meat, their skins. Why should I bother to keep rabbits in hutches? They'll do very well where they are. He began to shoot all elil-lendri, homba, stoat, owl. He put out food for the rabbits, but not too near the warren. For his purpose they had to become accustomed to going about in the fields and the wood. And then he snared them-not too many: as many as he wanted and not as many as would frighten them all away or destroy the warren. They grew big and strong and healthy, for he saw to it that they had all of the best, particularly in winter, and nothing to fear-except the running knot in the hedge gap and the wood path. So they lived as he wanted them to live and all the time there were a few who disappeared. The rabbits became strange in many ways, different from other rabbits. They knew well enough what was happening. But even to themselves they pretended that all was well, for the food was good, they were protected, they had nothing to fear but the one fear; and that struck here and there, never enough at a time to drive them away. They forgot the ways of wild rabbits. They forgot El-ahrairah, for what use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price? They found out other marvelous arts to take the place of tricks and old stories. They danced in ceremonious greeting. They sang songs like the birds and made Shapes on the walls; and though these could help them not at all, yet they passed the time and enabled them to tell themselves that they were splendid fellows, the very flower of Rabbitry, cleverer than magpies. They had no Chief Rabbit-no, how could they? — for a Chief Rabbit must be El-ahrairah to his warren and keep them from death: and here there was no death but one, and what Chief Rabbit could have an answer to that? Instead, Frith sent them strange singers, beautiful and sick like oak apples, like robins' pincushions on the wild rose. And since they could not bear the truth, these singers, who might in some other place have been wise, were squeezed under the terrible weight of the warren's secret until they gulped out fine folly-about dignity and acquiescence, and anything else that could make believe that the rabbit loved the shining wire. But one strict rule they had; oh yes, the strictest. No one must ever ask where another rabbit was and anyone who asked 'Where? -except in a song or a poem-must be silenced. To say 'Where? was bad enough, but to speak openly of the wires-that was intolerable. For that they would scratch and kill."

~ Richard Adams
Probably too long to read for most people, but rest assured, this was a very powerful moment in context.
Mu

Peasant

Postby pouar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 am

Only wimps use backups: real men just push their important stuff to remote git tree, and let the rest of the world clone it .
ImageImageyes the qrcode works
Code: Select all
while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done
for i in {\ metal,core,grind};do echo death$i rules\!;done

Cavalry
Species: Ursus arctos

Postby Arktos » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:49 am

"A political leader must keep looking over his shoulder all the time to see if the boys are still there. If they aren’t still there, he’s no longer a political leader." - Bernard Baruch
"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity." - Robert A. Heinlein, Logic of Empire

Sunshine Scientist
Species: Lonely Wouslf

Postby Zinn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:49 am

“Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.” ~Edward Abbey
Hey-ho, I'm Zinn. Local Moderator of the political debates with Immelmann's Cats.

Solidarity with Palestine.

Lord
Species: cabbolf

Postby Dwale » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:20 am

"What civilization is is six billion people trying to make themselves happy by standing on each other's shoulders and kicking each other's teeth in."

~ Terence McKenna
Mu

Cavalry
Species: Ursus arctos

Postby Arktos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 am

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy
"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity." - Robert A. Heinlein, Logic of Empire

Sunshine Scientist
Species: Lonely Wouslf

Postby Zinn » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:22 am

"War is so unjust and ugly that all you wage it must try to stifle the voice of conscience within themselves" ~ Leo Tolstoy

Bonus: "The Two most powerful warriors are patience and time." ~ Leo Tolstoy
Hey-ho, I'm Zinn. Local Moderator of the political debates with Immelmann's Cats.

Solidarity with Palestine.

Lord
Species: Russian Black cat

Postby Shunra » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:41 am

風と木の詩の好きな言葉.jpg
風と木の詩の好きな言葉.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 4745 times

‘The important thing is not to avoid sinning; by attempting to avoid sin, we misinterpret the truth.’
(From Kaze to Ki no Uta)
Sanity is statistical.

Peasant

Postby pouar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Anyone can do it. It's not rocket surgery.
ImageImageyes the qrcode works
Code: Select all
while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done
for i in {\ metal,core,grind};do echo death$i rules\!;done

Previous

Return to Random Crap