The End of the Forums

READ THESE BEFORE JOINING, fool.

Moderators: QuetzaDrake, Aasharu, Zerker, Immelmann

The Lurker at the Threshold
Species: Velociraptor

The End of the Forums

Postby Immelmann » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:08 am

On Saturday, August 29th, the forums will be shutting down.

It's clear that they've been very dead for a very long time, beyond any efforts. It's not hard to imagine why: today, we have things like Facebook and a multitude of IMs to talk to people directly in real time. The forum, one of the oldest methods of internet communication, really can't stand up to modern convenience, and it's hard to sell people on one as old and quiet as this.

I've given the forums time, and I've tried to push it without being obnoxious, but there aren't any biters, and I've known for a long time that these were the twilight months. This forum has been quite something - years of fan conversations are stored here. Friendships and relationships were forged here. Business was conducted here. Real human beings connected here.

I announced the opening of the forums on Friday, October 13, 2006. It was hosted on a friend's server, later to be moved to my own, and then later still to change name. It's followed me through all my works, since the beginning and end of Concession, through the whole run of my personal venting comic At the Heart of it All, and through the beginning of Ballerina Mafia and Order of the Black Dog.

Once Concession ended, forum activity slowly declined. There was a long period between the end of Concession and the start of Order of the Black Dog, and even after that there was a long pause between the first two issues. This meant there was only really Ballerina Mafia to talk about, and so... the forums fell into disuse.

A lot of it was a good run, but it's time to say good bye to this now ancient monument of communication.

A special thanks to every fan, old and new, who has come here to share their experiences and offer their warm company. Please, don't hesitate to look me up on these other fine sites to stay in touch with me and, potentially other fans:

Concession on Facebook
Ballerina Mafia on Facebook
Order of the Black Dog on Facebook

Immelmann on Facebook
Immelmann on Tumblr

There is also still #concession on IRC, if you know how to get there, but I don't know how long that will last either.

These forums will remain up indefinitely. They will be closed, but all posts will still be available for public viewing.

Lord
Species: Vulpine

Re: The End of the Forums

Postby Zarathustra » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:43 am

Sigh, it was fun, way back when it was active.

These days no one wants to create another profile if they can avoid it.
Such an interesting species, so emotional, so illogical, it's a wonder that humanity hasn't destroyed itself yet.

The reason you are here is very simple: your parents had sex, unless you're a test tube baby.

Conscript
Species: Wolf

Postby Murakami » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:51 am

Well, it was fun while it lasted... we should celebrate our last days with vodka or something.
The end is near, but doesn't mean we could still enjoy the rest of the time.

Immy's Campaign Manager
Species: Green Iguana

Postby JCLocke » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm going to miss this forum.

I don't want to see it die, but I know that keeping it open - and hoping it will somehow become active again is probably pointless and futile.

At least I'll be able to visit the forums, and read the old stuff when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Don't forget to vote here for Ballerina Mafia and here for The Order of the Black Dog every day!
Visit Immys shop, Pangolin Press here

RIP Concession 1st July 2006 - 11th Feb 2011

Lord
Species: cabbolf

Postby Dwale » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Transience is inherent in life. I made a lot of friends through Concession...indeed, I had withdrawn almost entirely from the fandom; Concession brought me back into it. It's been a fun ride.

Anyone who so wishes may look me up on FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dwale/

For the rest, best wishes and farewell. Peace.
Mu

Infantry
Species: Kitsune

Postby MythicFox » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:27 am

I've only been hanging around here a couple of years myself, but I have enjoyed my time here. I didn't post much, I'm sure I didn't catch a lot of peoples' attention, but if anyone wants to find me elsewhere my signature has all of the hot spots.
I've got a Furaffinity page here.
I've got a SoFurry page here.
I've got a Twitter feed here and a Livejournal here.
Am I missing anything?

Peasant

Postby Matthew Wolf » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:55 am

Nooooooo I just got here ......I guess if you really have to......gime some of that vodka <.>
You laugh at me because I'm different I laugh at you because your the same

Twiggy the Magnificent
Species: Dragon/Rabbit/Lemur

Postby QuetzaDrake » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 am

This forum and community turned out to be an incredibly important part of my life for many years, and it's really sad to know that it's gonna be ending now. :c

I sometimes wonder how different my life would've gone if I hadn't all of a sudden decided to join a webcomic forum and randomly picked Concession's in order to be more social back in 2007. I wouldn't have gotten to know Immy probably nor any of the other dozens and dozens of people who have come and gone throughout my life. How Furthia High has developed definitely would've been different, since Concession and this community ended up influencing how I felt and thought and developed as a writer and an artist. Heck, how I as a person in general have developed would've been really different, too, since it was Concession and Immy and the community that got me swinging from straight to bisexual and gave me certain opinions about stuff. My life has been so influenced due to that fluke random choice, and it's strange to think about how the subject of that choice is gonna be gone now.

I always kind of figured this place would never go away, even if it has been fairly dead ever since Concession ended. You don't really think about things that have been part of your life for years suddenly stopping and going away, even if you yourself have pretty much drifted from using it. It's also weird to think about how much has changed in the 7 years since I've been in this community in terms of the internet and the world, where social media has overpowered the forums and IRC chatrooms of yesteryear. It's sad, I guess, that these things that were so important to me while I was growing up have become less and less populated and popular.

Even though I haven't really posted here at all for quite a long time, knowing that it's going to be closed is still very sad for me. I had a lot of good times here with a lot of people, and it's melancholic to remember them all at this moment. I'll miss this place being active a lot, and I'll feel sad knowing that this portion of my life has truly passed.

To everyone I met on here, those who have drifted away in the years this community has existed, I guess I just wanna say that it was fun and I'm ultimately happy to have chosen to come here. I'll miss all the great times that were had here. Thanks, Concession forum, for being the starting point for making me who I am today. Goodbye.

The Lurker at the Threshold
Species: Velociraptor

Postby Immelmann » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Good night, forum.
End of lime.

Return to Rules and Announcements